Re: [Hampshire] Ext3 and missing files

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ext3 and missing files

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57fa7100.hantslug.org.uk.32372': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Aug 1 13:32:36 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:20:23PM +0100, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> I've got a problem. I think it might be a large problem.
>
> A sub-directory of my home directory has vanished sometime in the last
> 9-10 days and the system has not been restarted (i.e. unmounted and
> remounted) since before that. Unfortunately it's the one with all my
> "important" files in.
>
> I have no idea where it has gone, if it has gone, or what.
>
> The filesystem is ext3. Running debugfs and using list_deleted_inodes
> lists 0 deleted inodes.
>
> Where can I go from here?

Check your wastebasket, if your desktop environment has one.

Run find on the whole system to see if you can see where it's gone,
or some of the documents in it. (If it's been moved accidentally).

Then unmount the filesystem and run fsck on it. See what gets
recovered and put in lost+found.

After that, break out the hex editor and go looking for your data
on the disk. There's probably not a lot more you can do at that point.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
    --- "What are we going to do tonight?" "The same thing we do ---
            every night, Pinky.  Try to take over the world!"