Re: [Hampshire] Ext3 and missing files

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ext3 and missing files
On 01/08/07, Hugo Mills <hugo@???> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 01:20:23PM +0100, Graeme Hilton wrote:
> > I have no idea where it has gone, if it has gone, or what.

>    After that, break out the hex editor and go looking for your data
> on the disk. There's probably not a lot more you can do at that point.

Desperate situations call for deperate measures ...
Think of a string that occurs in one/some of your lost files and do a
grep -100 "SomeString" /dev/hda > /tmp/resultFile #(replace hda with
your hard disk identifier)

... should come up with the 200 'lines' around the string and put it
into /tmp/resultFile ; doesn't help to explain what happened though.