Re: [Hampshire] Ext3 and missing files

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Ext3 and missing files
On 01/08/07, Graeme Hilton <graeme.hilton@???> wrote:

> These new folders had interesting names like media, administrator,
> images and documents. The last one is the most interesting as of course
> tar did not have to create a new directory for that one, it just used my
> existing documents folder. "What a mess" I thought and issued the fatal
> commands: mkdir Joomla, mv documents Joomla/ etc....
>
> Later when I decided Joomla was far too complicated for me I simply did
> rm -rdf Joomla. That's when my documents folder vanished.

Ouch ...

I don't know if it's too late (16 hrs since yr email) but I've a
feeling that even after a file is rm'ed the disk inodes of the file
are not erased, just put back on the free list... so if there has not
been too much activity(*) the data may still be around in which case
the hard-disk grep approach /might/ recover something?

(*) trouble is, there is always activity going on under the surface of course.