Re: [Hampshire] Shared accounts

Author: David Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Shared accounts
Samuel Penn wrote:
> So my question is, what is the real solution for account
> management across multiple boxes on Linux these days?
> The last time I looked at this, it was NIS on Solaris.
> I'm guessing it would be something based on OpenLDAP,
> though I'm also guessing there's also probably several
> different possibilities.

The most common are NIS/NIS+ and OpenLDAP. You can do both without
Solaris being involved ;)

As an aside, I am starting to use libnss-mysql-bg on Debian with a MySQL
server on each host replicating changes from a master mysql server via
MySQL Replicate.

> If it could hook into our MS Windows domain accounts as
> well, that would be good (we use samba for sharing a
> file system, but it's not connected to ssh accounts).

This might be a good starting point:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fit_Linux_into_Active_Directory

As usual the Gentoo wiki is fantastic :)

Cheers,

Dave