Re: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?
> My guess is still with a DIMM socket contact
> problem, or perhaps a motherboard limitation.

It could even be unrelated to memory.

Inserting DIMMs flexes the motherboard. If you've got an intermittent
connection somewhere, that can cause / fix the problem.

I spent ages tracking down a fault with a machine I have[1]. It turned out
to be a poorly-seated processor; fiddling with the memory often caused it
to work :-)

>> Interestingly, the were bought on the same day,
>> but are two different manufacturers.
>
> Not uncommon, even for big name manufacturers.

Not even slightly uncommon when you buy memory from Novatech. I have
serious misgivings about their static-handling procedures...

Vic.

[1] This particular machine is very suspect anyway - it had a small fire,
y'see. Never quite been the same since...