Re: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?
Lists <lists@???> wrote:
> Last night I got it back to starting up with
> only one stick of 1GB, but the screen stayed
> blank.
>
> Today I did a bios reset (as suggested by Brian,
> but screen still stayed blank. Replaced the
> original 2x512MB sticks and hey presto, system
> is now back up working.
>
> Looks like one or both 1GB sticks could be
> faulty.

I'm not sure you've proved that yet!

A summary of results - tell me if I have this
wrong:

Working sometimes:
2 x 512MB
1 x 512MB
1 x 1GB

Not working:
2 x 1GB
1 x 1GB, 1 x 512MB

My guess is still with a DIMM socket contact
problem, or perhaps a motherboard limitation.
What's your motherboard model?

I had a similar problem with a machine I built a
while ago. Two 512MB DIMMs - fine. Bought two
Crucial 1GB DIMMs and fitted them - no boot.
Turned out to be a mechanical DIMM PCB tolerance
problem - although the socket lugs were engaging
on both modules, they weren't sitting it the
bottom of the socket. Removing a fraction of a
millimeter of fibreglass was enough to fix the
problem.

> Interestingly, the were bought on the same day,
> but are two different manufacturers.

Not uncommon, even for big name manufacturers.
It's a commodity market.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.