Re: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?

Author: Nick Chalk
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?
Keith Edmunds <kae@???> wrote:
> Nice catch. How did you diagnose the problem?

Part hunch, part past experience.

The fact the problem was repeatable helped. Old
memory - works; new memory - fails. A quick visual
inspection, and comparison using a micrometer
showed the difference. Had the board been on a
solid surface, rather than in a case, I probably
would have crushed the chamfered bottom edge of
the DIMMs, and not the seen the problem. As it was
in a case, I was trying not to flex the board too
much.

I suspect the individual DIMM boards are snapped
out of the panel after they've been populated.
That can lead to quite a wide variation in where
the break occurs.

Nick.

--
Nick Chalk ................. once a Radio Designer
Confidence is failing to understand the problem.