Re[2]: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?

Author: Lists
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re[2]: [Hampshire] Is it dead or just pretending?
Hello Nick,

Saturday, August 11, 2007, 12:36:47 AM, you wrote:

> Hmm, it could be a dodgy contact on one of your
> DIMM sockets.

> I'm not sure if this is true of all motherboards,
> but it seems that the BIOS needs some memory at
> the bottom end of the address space. If there's a
> fault with that DIMM, you'll get no response from
> the BIOS - either on screen or as beeps.

> I'd insert one of your original DIMMs in the lower
> numbered socket, taking care that it's firmly
> seated. Then try booting.

> Then, swap that module to the other socket, and
> boot again.

> If the system works with one socket populated, but
> not the other, that suggests a problem with the
> socket. If neither case works, try one of the
> other DIMMs in the same sequence.

> If it's one socket that's the problem, it's worth
> inspecting the socket with a lens. Look for bent
> contacts (unlikely), or objects in the socket's
> groove. Whether you can see anything or not, it
> may be worth cleaning the socket with an old
> toothbrush and some IPA.

> Nick.

Last night I got it back to starting up with only one stick of 1GB,
but the screen stayed blank.

Today I did a bios reset (as suggested by Brian, but screen still stayed blank. Replaced
the original 2x512MB sticks and hey presto, system is now back up
working.

Looks like one or both 1GB sticks could be faulty. Interestingly,
the were bought on the same day, but are two different
manufacturers. Back to Novatech next week!

Thanks to Nick and Brian

--
Best regards,
 David                            mailto:lists@pern.co.uk