[Hampshire] [OT] Network issue - how to describe

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] [OT] Network issue - how to describe
Hi all

I'm experiencing a problem with my ISP - and I need to know the technical description of the fault in the hope that I get someone knowledgeable at customer service (a pipe dream most likely but nonetheless).

Symptom: Head for any website and I get a "Internet explorer cannot display the page". Key in the same address again or hit f5 and hey presto - up comes the page.

I'm in the position of being able to route traffic through another router connected to Virgin and no such problems. Having done the usual things of rebooting routers, deleting temporary files etc, the problem only persists with Orange.

Is this DNS? If not, what's the most likely cause? I don't know why it takes two attempts to get anywhere - and it doesn't happen with all website - just some.

Cheers
Rob