Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network issue - how to describe

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network issue - how to describe

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim" <xendistar@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 10:21 PM

On Sat August 11 2007 22:09, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm experiencing a problem with my ISP - and I need to know the technical
> description of the fault in the hope that I get someone knowledgeable at
> customer service (a pipe dream most likely but nonetheless).
>
> Symptom: Head for any website and I get a "Internet explorer cannot
> display the page". Key in the same address again or hit f5 and hey
> presto
> - up comes the page.
>
> I'm in the position of being able to route traffic through another router
> connected to Virgin and no such problems. Having done the usual things
> of
> rebooting routers, deleting temporary files etc, the problem only persists
> with Orange.
>
> Is this DNS? If not, what's the most likely cause? I don't know why it
> takes two attempts to get anywhere - and it doesn't happen with all
> website
> - just some.
>
> Cheers
> Rob

Try entering the IP address for a particular site in the address bar, does
it
load straight away or does it require a F5??

Have you tried changing the dns IP's on the router that is causing the
problem??

Just a couple of quick thoughts?

Tim

Bizarrely, about 5 minutes after posting, I received a message from
OrangeProblems.co.uk and having followed a few links, I was told to change
an "MTU" setting in the router which has fixed things nicely.

Interesting that it had been working fine on the other MTU setting for
around 5 years.

Cheers
Rob