Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network issue - how to describe

Author: Wayne Lee
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] Network issue - how to describe
We used to see this when we had some MTU issue's

The problem was mainly servers and networks that were blocking ICMP,
they blocked more than just ICMP echo so the correct MTU size could not
be discovered (microsoft.com was a classic example). This issue would
also affect email uploads if the mail contained a attachment or a lot of
replys.

The main problem was we had 100mb links to the main L2TP suppliers and
the customers connected via PPPoA which reduced the available MTU size.
Once we upgraded all L2TP links with gig links the problem mostly went
away, mind you we still set the MTU to be lower (1460) on the virtual
template to get around most MTU problems. The issue gets worse when
customers start using VPN's.

It took many hours of fun to debug this and to provide a working
solution.

Wayne

--
Regards