Re: [Hampshire] 'Free' ISP recommendations

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] 'Free' ISP recommendations
Paul Tansom wrote:
> I'm still battling to get myself free from Nildram, but at least I have
> a valid MAC code again now (I never have showed up on their computer
> system so I guess I shouldn't expect a smooth ride, and adding in the
> Pipex factor will take customer service down a notch - just hope I'm
> fully clear before the Tiscali factor kicks in!). My plan is to hook up
> my home line onto one of the 'free' ISPs since my primary connection is
> the business line.
>
> I had been planning to go for Sky since the ISP they took over (can't
> remember the name off hand) was supposed to be pretty good and they seem
> to have a better than average reputation compared to Talk Talk and
> Orange that do similar deals. Does anyone have any experience of any of
> these bundled deals? Clearly whether you use the companies services
> anyway has an impact, but I'm slightly concerned about being migrated
> off onto the Sky LLU. Not so much in terms of quality of service, more a
> case of having read that once youve been 'unbundled' it's easier to
> extract chicken teath than to get back onto a BT service, so I'd be
> largely stuck with Sky for life (although probably by the time I wanted
> to move this sort of problem may have been sorted out).

My next door neighbours have just had Sky put in after having been with
Freeserve then Wanadoo then Orange. Their broadband stopped working a
while ago and Orange weren't really bothered about getting it sorted
out, hence the switch.

There was a bit of a problem with BT activating the line a day late and
breaking it when they did activate it (their business line which the
ADSL is on stopped working altogether, they were lucky the line was
diverted to a mobile before hand)

BT fixed it the day after they called though and everything Just Worked.
I don't know how reliable it will be yet, but I have set up Sky
broadband for a guy at work about 8 months ago now and he's not
mentioned a single problem so far.

James