Re: [Hampshire] Cascading routers to create independant LAN …

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cascading routers to create independant LAN ... ?
x3n0 wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Has anyone been able to cascade their routers to produce multi-layer LANs?
> I wish to reconfigure my home network to provide a secure secondary network.
>
> The scenario is this ...
>    I had a DSL modem with ethernet (provided by BT) that was hooked up
> to my Linksys router. Unfortunately the modem failed, and has now been
> replaced (by BT) with their awful HomeHub. Obviously, I wish to put
> the Linksys back into service, but I am relatively new to
> networking...

> As I have lodgers in my house that "require" internet access. I
> thought it would be interesting to setup the network in such a way,
> that the lodgers would have their connection routed though an internal
> proxy/firewall.
>
> www>>primaryrouter(192.168.0.xxx>>proxy/firewall>>secondaryrouter(192.168.1.xxx)
>                              |>>proxy/firewall>>tertiaryrouter(192.168.2.xxx)

> I realise that the above is diabolically obscure in terms of concept
> and clarity, but finding a way to portray my idea is proving difficult
> to say the least.
>
> I basically need it to be secure to the point where neither of the
> networks can contact each other, but can (obviously) access the web.
>
> If anyone has *any* ideas about how I could possibly go about building
> such a setup... any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> A.Clover

Not sure where my previous post went, but here it is again;

You'll want to set-up the Linksys to have;

* A new subnet, different to to your main LAN.
* Firewall rules to block all outgoing traffic to your main LAN except
for the IP address of your BT router.
* The default route to be set to the IP address of the BT router.
* Probably DHCP enabled on your new Linksys subnet too.
* Set the external IP address of the Linksys to an unused address on
your main LAN.
* Set any DNS server settings to be the same as the ones supplied to you
for the BT router.

Simon