Re: [Hampshire] Moving partitions...

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Moving partitions...

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56eb5100.hantslug.org.uk.1880': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Aug 23 12:55:31 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B2C27BC21C335860
On Thu, Aug 23, 2007 at 12:42:57PM +0100, Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I'm trying to clean up the disk on my main workstation, and I've hit a
> wall...
>
> I want to move a partition. It's now sat just above a big lump of free
> space, and I want to move it down so that I can keep shuffling.
> Eventually, when the right partition has free space alongside it, I want
> to expant that partition & start playing with filesystems.
>
> So far so good - just use parted, thought I. Not so.
>
> parted doesn't want to play with my LVM partitions - I get an error along
> the lines of "unknown file system" (can't remember the exact error - I was
> booting from Knnoppix at the time). Now I don't actually want parted to do
> anything to the filesystem structures (pvresize will do that) - I just
> want it to move the data on the disk...

What do you mean by "LVM partitions"? Do you mean LVs within a
volume group, or PVs within which the volume group resides?

If it's the former, then you don't really need to worry about it,
as LVM will handle all of that for you.

If it's the latter, then your only real option, AFAICT, is to use
pvmove to shift all of the data out of that PV into other PVs in your
VG, then destroy the PV/partition.

Hugo.

  PGP key: 1C335860 from wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net or http://www.carfax.org.uk
      --- You shouldn't anthropomorphise computers. They really ---
                            don't like that.