Re: [Hampshire] Moving partitions...

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Moving partitions...
> What do you mean by "LVM partitions"? Do you mean LVs within a
> volume group, or PVs within which the volume group resides?

The latter. I want to move the PVs to a different location on the disk...

>    If it's the latter, then your only real option, AFAICT, is to use
> pvmove to shift all of the data out of that PV into other PVs in your
> VG, then destroy the PV/partition.

Well, even that's not straightforward.

I don't have enough free extents within the PVs I've got; the space is all
in unpartitioned space on the disk.

I'm resisting the urge just to create a new partition & make a PV out of
it because I've already got 16 partitions on this disk[1]. It's down from
the 18 it used to be - but it was only by accident I realised just how
close I had come to losing partitions there...

Vic.

[1] The number of partitions is a hangover from a mistake I made some 7
years ago :-)