Re: [Hampshire] Linux compatible Skype Phone?

Top Page
Author: Dave Walker
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: [Hampshire] USB Sound cards, was: Linux compatible Skype Phone?
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux compatible Skype Phone?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56b32100.hantslug.org.uk.22244': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Aug 26 15:41:25 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key D17910D5904A3269
On Sun, 2007-08-26 at 12:55 +0100, Cayenne-uk wrote:
<SNIP>

> So basically, I am looking for recommendations for Linux compatible
> handsets, which are affordable but still give a good quality sound.
> Anyone have any personal experience of these?

<SNIP>

Hi Kelvin,

Firstly, I'd like to point out that Skype is *evil*, use open protocols
instead :)

With a Skype handsets it seems you have two options. Either:

* A handset, which is really a USB sound device with buttons. USB sound
cards are pretty well supported; so *most* should work. The only thing
that may not work 'out-of-the-box' are any buttons on the phone. This
would be a USB-HID (Human Interaction Device) - such as a 'joypad'.
These buttons can be mapped manually tho. Both parts are 'pretty' well
supported. But googling 'linux skype phone' resulted in:
http://www.thelinuxshop.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=51&products_id=180

* A hardware skype client, this is a handset that doesn't require a
computer to be switched on. It looks like a normal residential handset
and can make and receive skype calls with other skype'rs using the
software client. This, IMO, is a cleaner solution - one example
http://dualphone.net/Skype_features_from_handset-798.aspx (~£82)

However, if you go for (more) open protocols then the price often drops
significantly and the choice increases.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Dave Walker