Re: [Hampshire] OT 3 Network USB dongle?

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] OT 3 Network USB dongle?
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] OT 3 Network USB dongle?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58489100.hantslug.org.uk.20769': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Aug 28 19:21:19 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 02:07:35PM -0400, Andy Random wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Aug 2007, Andy Smith wrote:
>
> >No idea but is highly likely to be some variant of Option
> >Globetrotter which works fine.
>
> I've never heard of this device do you know what other services use it
> which are known to work with Linux?

Well, option globetrotters are actually PC cards which emulate a USB
modem, and they're typically used for t-mobile web'n'walk and the
equivalent voda service. Both of which I've had working in Linux.
e.g.:

http://www.option.com/products/globetrotter_fusionhsdpa.shtml

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/internet/laptop/ (click
on "data card options also available") and it's just a rebranded one
of the above.

So I would imagine that whatever 3 chooses will be the same but
without the need to convert PC card to USB... they would have to go
out of their way to find something that doesn't work.

They still might come up with something that doesn't work, and I
don't think I'd want to be the first to buy one just on the
offchance :) but I think it's highly likely it'll work. With no
official support from 3.

Cheers,
Andy