Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Author: alan c
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup
David Webb wrote:
> I am considering using a 4 Gb usb data stick for regular (daily?) backups of
> critical data (instead of burning DVDs at longer intervals). I understand
> there may be a power issue when so much memory is involved.
>
> Does anyone have experience of using such devices with Linux? What devices
> would you recommend? Anything else I should know?

My thought is only that saving to usb has an elapsed time associated
with the action. If I understand it correctly, the file systems
indicate files have been transferred, but it is only when the usb
stick is unmounted (remove safely or eject or whatever) that the data
is often physically transferred. This final transfer process can take
a while, particularly for a lot of data. This is significantly
different to backup to hard drive for example, where transfer is fast
and on screen indications seem to be delayed until full completion.

With USB then - some care needs to be taken that the stick is not
removed too early inadvertently.

--
alan cocks
Kubuntu user#10391