Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ca4100.hantslug.org.uk.9950': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Aug 28 19:12:27 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
Hi John,

On Tue, 2007-08-28 at 18:50 +0100, john lewis wrote:
> but if you run something other the KDE or Gnome (or similar) you
> won't get an irritating icon pop-up on your desktop :-)

Certainly in GNOME it's configurable whether an icon appears at all,
even if the device is automatically mounted. I am sure KDE has a similar
option.

> but I know it will be in /media/summat_or_other when I get around to
> telling udev about mine.

You have to _tell_ udev about your devices? Debian potato is that?

:p

One thing I do quite like about GNOME is that if you label the media
(using e2label) the device shows up under a sensible name. So normally
under Ubuntu/GNOME you get the first USB disk show up as /media/disk,
the next as other names like /media/disk2 and so on. If you have
multiple partitions then you get /media/disk-1. I have labelled mine as
per their size - not a great naming scheme but it works all the while
they are different sizes :) So I have /media/700G, /media/500G
and /media/250G attached.

Cheers,
Al.