Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

On Tue, 28 Aug 2007, David Webb wrote:

> I am considering using a 4 Gb usb data stick for regular (daily?) backups of
> critical data (instead of burning DVDs at longer intervals). I understand
> there may be a power issue when so much memory is involved.
>
> Does anyone have experience of using such devices with Linux? What devices
> would you recommend? Anything else I should know?

I have two 4GB flash drives, both bought from SVP, a Freecom DataBar

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=1389

and a Integral Courier

http://svp.co.uk/products-solo.php?pid=440

and I've not encountered any issues with either of them.

> USB conformance requires certain things of a device in terms of power
> (i.e. the capabilities are well defined), and 4GB really isn't very much
> memory. Now if you were trying to run a 4GB hard drive, you might have
> problems[1]...
>
> Vic.
>

> [1] Yes, I know loads of you already do this. So do I. But HDDs are a bit
> near the knuckle at times...

My old Vaio laptop used to run 2.5" USB hard drives ok, but my Toshiba,
Compaq and JVC laptops all fail to power either of my 2.5" external drives
without some sort of power boost, either a powered hub or cable with
second USB/PS2 mouse connector. However I've not experienced problems with
any of these machines running a 4GB flash drive.

Andy