Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup
David Webb wrote:
> I am considering using a 4 Gb usb data stick for regular (daily?) backups of
> critical data (instead of burning DVDs at longer intervals). I understand
> there may be a power issue when so much memory is involved.

As long as the device is within the USB specification relevant to the
port type it is plugged in to, you should be fine.

> Does anyone have experience of using such devices with Linux? What devices
> would you recommend? Anything else I should know?

USB data sticks like this should Just Work with any decent distro. You
shouldn't need to edit any configuration files or mount the drive
manually. If your distro doesn't do this, then it's time to upgrade or swap!

Tony