Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e70100.hantslug.org.uk.8039': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Aug 28 18:53:17 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 12:29:08PM +0100, David Webb wrote:
>> I am considering using a 4 Gb usb data stick for regular (daily?) backups of
>> critical data (instead of burning DVDs at longer intervals). I understand
>> there may be a power issue when so much memory is involved.
>
>    My only warning would be that USB flash storage devices aren't
> always necessarily manufactured to the highest of quality, and
> trusting your backups to one (especially after repeated writes) isn't
> the wisest of choices, in my opinion.

I'd echo that. If it's really critical data, backing up to one single
device isn't a good backup strategy. A worse case scenario is the USB
stick is in the machine, something goes pop and the HDD(s) go bang as
does the USB stick. Maybe that's not very likely but it's not impossible.

If there's a particular reason for using a USB stick, invest in two and
rotate them. In addition see if you can copy the data to a remote
machine (either onsite or offsite would be better).

Regards,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden