Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Author: Vic
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup
> I am considering using a 4 Gb usb data stick for regular (daily?) backups
> of
> critical data (instead of burning DVDs at longer intervals). I understand
> there may be a power issue when so much memory is involved.

Well, I only use a 2GB stick, but I've never even dreamt of power issues -
even on my particularly power-challenged PCMCIA card...

USB conformance requires certain things of a device in terms of power
(i.e. the capabilities are well defined), and 4GB really isn't very much
memory. Now if you were trying to run a 4GB hard drive, you might have
problems[1]...

Vic.

[1] Yes, I know loads of you already do this. So do I. But HDDs are a bit
near the knuckle at times...