[Hampshire] ALSA Experts?

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] ALSA Experts?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ceb100.hantslug.org.uk.29683': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Aug 28 22:55:41 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
Hi,

I have an antique Dell notebook that I salvaged from running Windows 98. It's
running Debian Etch fine, but the sound doesn't work. In theory ALSA should
support the old NeoMagic 256AV combined graphics/sound card okay but it
doesn't work.

In the older days of the 2.4 kernel and OSS there were known problems with the
chipset, but it should be supported by ALSA but the chipset and Dell's
implementation had long since passed into history so I find no modern
references with Google.

alsaconf finds the correct chipset and offers to install the correct modules
into the kernel - which go in okay, but not nodes get created in /dev and
alsamixer etc do not run. Apparently you can try to let alsaconf probe for
legacy devices as well and install them instead but that didn't work any
better.

I'll bring it to the Surrey/Hants LUG meeting anyway if people want to prod
the beastie.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

While it may be faster than DLT tapes, 're-typing' is not a
valid recovery strategy.
    -- anon