[Hampshire] Re: VM's - My experinces.

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Re: VM's - My experinces.
I am moving more and more to usung VM's.
I have ditched my Windows Laptop (At last) and go a MAC.
I'm running VMware Fusion under OS/X and I have to say for a V1.00
product, it is remarkable solid and works like a dream.
I'm running Fedora, XP and Centos in VM's and I'm very satisfied indeed.
I've decided to run even more in VM's and treat OS/X more like a
hypervisor except for running Photoshop and Capture NX.
Ok, you have to pay for VMware Fusion ($59) but as I have said, it works
very well in indeed and makes other VM products look very poor indeed. I
have XEN running on a server and I do get odd crashes of the VM's. The
server is a Quad core Q6600 with 8Gb Ram and I'm about to ditch it for
VMWare on Linux.
I've decided to use VMware as my VM software of choice. Ok, its not free
on OS/X and for some, its not Open Source but I want it to work. While
they 'give' away Windows and Linux version of their server then frankly,
I don't care. It works OOTB and that speaks volumes as far as I am
concerned.
As an aside, my next project is using Linux on IBM P (P6) Series with
sat least 8 different LPARS. This is a whole different world of
virtualisation.

Stephen D