[Hampshire] rsync question

Author: Tim
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] rsync question

Hypothetical question

If I was using rsync to backup my home directory is it possible to do a backup
and exclude all the hidden files and folders in my home directory but backup
everything else?

For example I want to backup my home directory, do a complete new distro
installation then restore all my old home folders to my new distro home
folder (I would use the same user names and group sucurity etc. on the new
distro as I had on the old).

I would not want all the hidden files and folders as they would contain
configuration files that may not be compatible to my new distro??

I have googled but have not seen any option for rsync that excludes hidden
files, could it be done using the file exclude option??

Tim