[Hampshire] spam woes

Author: Wayne Lee
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] spam woes
Hello All

We have recently taken over another company and all their servers, the
main mail server which is running sendmail is being hammered.

We are using RBL lists, greet pause and have max children set at 300
which is constantly being reached. I have also blocked a lot of /16's in
the firewall but we are still struggling. I have tried to use hermes for
greylisting but this has proved to be unstable and pisses off the users.
The problem has been getting worse all week.

I'm in the process of installing postfix on Etch and will migrate but
will this help?

Suggestions very welcome.

Wayne