RE: [Hampshire] spam woes

Author: Wayne Lee
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] spam woes

-----Original Message-----
From: hampshire-bounces@???
[mailto:hampshire-bounces@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Steve Kemp
Sent: 31 August 2007 10:57
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List

On Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 10:18:12 +0100, Dr Adam J Trickett wrote:

> > I'm in the process of installing postfix on Etch and will migrate

but
> > will this help?

It will be faster, but if you're being hammered you're still going
to be hammered. The best approach is to do as much rejection as you
can without forking expensive scanning processes.

> I can't comment on the Sendmail/postfix end of the equations as I use
> Debian's Exim default, but a friend found that filtering before via
> the firewall is quite effective - you may have to get more aggressive
> that you currently do to make it work.

I've been using qpsmtpd as a proxy to handle spam for about twenty
domains and it is extremely good ..

> A friend also rejects almost all email sent to his primary MX address,
> and only accepts email at his secondary. Most spammers don't fall back
> to the secondary

That seems counter-intuitive to me. My memory from the last time
I ran more than one MX was that the lower priority server saw
significantly more traffic than the primary.

Steve
--

Our box has about 1200 users spread over multiple domains, it is also a
VM which is not helping as the wa counter in top is always quite high.

Wayne

--
Please post to: Hampshire@???