Re: [Hampshire] spam woes

Author: Simon Capstick
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] spam woes

Wayne Lee wrote:
Our box has about 1200 users spread over multiple domains, it is also a
VM which is not helping as the wa counter in top is always quite high.
The machine I'm migrating too will be dedicated hardware. I'm not new to
running mail services but I have had very little to do with sendmail and
was hoping you guys would have a list of tips which would help reject at
first stage of SMTP.

Wayne

I'm afraid I have no tips for the mail, except the general advice of
using threaded software instead of starting new processes where possible.

If it's the iowait that's high then it might be worth looking into what
the performance bottleneck is. Perhaps your disks are being overwhelmed
with I/O or you are out of RAM and swapping? What does iostat -x show?
What are the values for 'avgqu-sz', 'await', and 'svctm'?

Simon