[Hampshire] [JOBS] Jobs at SmoothWall (C++ Developer, Networ…

Author: David Bell
To: Hampshire
CC:
Subject: [Hampshire] [JOBS] Jobs at SmoothWall (C++ Developer, Network Test Engineer)
SmoothWall Limited are looking for staff to join our development team in
Hamble, Southampton. We currently have two positions available:

Southampton: Network Software Test Engineer

SmoothWall are looking for an enthusiastic and self motivated person
with the following criteria:

Knowledge of:

* Internet and LAN networking
* Linux server command-line configuration
* Good interpersonal and communication skills
* Logical mind with the ability to sensibly diagnose and replicate problems
* Education to degree level
* Previous experience in managing software testing is beneficial

The role will involve several areas:

* Security and bug management
* Monitor packages for updates and initiate software updates when needed
* Monitors internal bug lists and reports and initiate software fixes
when needed
* Project manage initiated fixes and updates
* Product bug fix testing
* Acceptance testing (is the bug actually fixed and in a sensible way
from a user perspective)
* Regression testing (checking the update or bug fix does not break
anything else)
* Setting up and maintaining a set of test networks
* Assisting developers with replicating bugs and scenareos
* New product testing
* Product performance testing

Southampton: Junior Programmer - Graduate position - Guardian

SmoothWall is recruiting another junior programmer to join the Guardian
development team at our Hamble, Southampton offices, from where all
product development, web/infrastructure development and product support
takes place.

Candidates should posses the following skills and experience:

* Education to degree level
* C++ in a Linux or Unix environment
* Some experience with one of the following:
* Perl (ideally)
* C
* Java
* PHP
* Python
* Delphi
* Some knowledge of HTTP and proxying
* Reasonable HTML knowledge (ie writing CGIs)
* Knowledge of secure programming techniques, both generally and for the
above programming languages

Experience of the following would be beneficial:

* Network (socket) programming for any of the above languages
* IP networking
* Firewalls and an understanding of IPTables
* Statistical analysis and reporting
* Anti-spyware techniques
* Content Filtering/Security
* Unix/Linux Anti-virus solutions
* Programming daemons in C/C++
* Windows programming
* Unix/Linux Sysadmin
* Software testing methodologies

Responsibilities will include:

* The development and maintenance of Guardian (web content security) and
related features
* Researching web based vulnerabilities, spyware and other undesirable
content to assist in maintaining our blocklist database
* Testing of new and updated software
* Reviewing of manuals and other documentation to check accuracy and
conformance with the software
* Assistance to the support team to help them resolve problems when
necessary

This is an excellent opportunity to join a young highly motivated team
that believes passionately in what it is doing. Ability and enthusiasm
are things that we prize. Naturally we will pay a good salary to the
right candidate, commensurate with ability and experience.

Location

Both roles are based in our Technology Office in Hamble, near Southampton.

Applying

Applicants should in the first instance email CVs to jobs@???
(use .rtf or .pdf format for preference). Agencies are currently NOT
invited to send CVs.

Cheers,

David Bell
Infrastructure Developer, SmoothWall Limited.