Re: [Hampshire] Help! Anyone know about Sophos on Linux

Author: Simon Capstick
To: lug, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Help! Anyone know about Sophos on Linux
Vic wrote:
> Hi All.
>
> I've just managed to break a mail installation. It's not mine, and the
> bloke that knows about it is incommunicado for the next week. And I've got
> to get it fixed PDQ.
>
> It's running MIMEDefang, using Sophos' sopie daemon to do the AV. And I've
> managed to break sophie - I'm getting errors saying "The main body of
> virus data is out of date."
>
> I've run the only update script I can find, and it's downloaded &
> installed some new .ide files - but still the error persists...
>
> I don't even know what the product name is - which makes contacting Sophos
> Tech Support a bit tricky.
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Vic.

Well Sophie isn't from Sophos it's a Freshmeat/Sourceforge project [1].
The Sophos anti-virus engine which it uses is SAVI (Sophos Antivirus
Engine Interface).

Sophos' SAVI is installed from a self-executing/unpacking shell script
if I remember correctly. Perhaps you could find this and reinstall it?
If you're lucky the admin may have stuffed it in /usr/src/ or /root/.

Simon

[1] http://freshmeat.net/projects/sophie/