Re: [Hampshire] Debian Sarge security updates

Top Page
Author: Adam Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Sarge security updates

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57350100.hantslug.org.uk.4463': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 3 19:55:23 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Monday 03 September 2007 19:45, Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 03, 2007 at 07:03:10PM +0100, Tony Whitmore wrote:
> > Debian Sarge seems to still be supported for security updates according
> > to security.debian.org but does anyone know how long it will be
> > maintained in this way? I basically want to know how pressing is the
> > need to upgrade to Etch to keep up-to-date with security fixes.
>
> I thought it was kept up until testing becomes stable (then stable
> would be oldstable), but I can't find any reference for that.

No, this time they decided to keep Sarge supported even after Etch became
stable and Sarge became old-stable. As long as people are prepared to do it
and there is demand to do they'll keep doing it. I think they were aiming for
6-12 months, but I can't recall the link to the statement that backs this up.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

Men who have excessive faith in their theories or ideas
are not only ill prepared for making discoveries, they
also make poor observations.
    -- Claude Bernard