RE: [Hampshire] Debian Update?

Author: Noble R.M.
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: RE: [Hampshire] Debian Update?
You could always try running

apt-get -f install

rob

________________________________

From: hampshire-bounces@???
[mailto:hampshire-bounces@mailman.lug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Chris.
Aubrey-Smith
Sent: 06 September 2007 14:21
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] Debian Update?

On my Debian 4.0 r1 system, the "update available" symbol is displayed.
When I click on this, I get the message:

"You can install 1 update
linux-image-2.6.18-5-686..." (...etc.)

However, if I try to install it, I'm informed "The kernel version
running is the
same as the one being installed."

How can this happen? It means that the "update available" symbol is
displayed
permanently and I have to check periodically to see if there really is
something
new.

Earlier, I had a problem with NFS when I was informed that it was "not
installed".
When I tried to install it, I got a very similar "same as the version
already installed"
message.

Can anyone tell me what's happening? My confidence in the Debian update
scheme
has been somewhat undermined...

Chris.