Re: [Hampshire] Re: Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

Author: john eayrs
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Re: Use of 4 Gb USB data stick for backup

David Webb wrote

>1.0 Nice unit but the data write speed was only ~100 kbyte/sec. The
>manufacturer quotes 12.1 MB/s for read, 2.1 MB for write (I presume B means
>byte). So maybe it was too cheap. Searched with Google and found slow
>transfers were common with Linux. The drive has a fat32 file system which
>was mounted in sync mode.

There are still rebadged USB1 usb sticks in circulation.

Writes to a USB Flash Drive can be speeded up. Use TRUECRYPT to create a
partition file that holds the amount of data that you want to back up.
Backup to the encrypted partition at full hard disk speed. Then close the
partition. Copy the partition file to the USB drive.

The speed up comes from the fact that you only need to access the Fat32 file
location pointer once rather than multiple times.
Every time to write a file you have to read the FAT and then write to it and
then write the file.

John Eayrs