Re: [Hampshire] Debian Update?

Top Page
Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Debian Update?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57c76100.hantslug.org.uk.8273': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Sep 7 14:56:52 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 1E38DD6257A4363C
On Fri, 2007-09-07 at 14:35 +0100, Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> NetworkManager Applet 0.6.4 (plus description, copyright and gnome.org
> website)
>
> i.e., the one supplied with Debian 4.0 r1

And is it the network manager applet that is telling you it's
disconnected?

If so then the reason is probably because you have some entries
in /etc/network/interfaces, which network manager doesn't need/want.
Having those entries allows you to connect to the network without using
network manager, and network manager will thus disown those network
devices and claim they are disconnected because _it_ isn't managing
them.

In the network applet in Desktop --> Administration you should find (at
least I do on Ubuntu) an option for roaming. If that's on then network
manager manages the network device, if it's off then you are using the
more traditional /etc/network/interfaces approach.

If you don't want to use network manager then you can just remove the
applet and instead use the other network applet which tells you what the
cards are doing irrespective of whoever is managing them.

Cheers,
Al.