Re: [Hampshire] KQEMU bridge for multiple VM's performance p…

Author: Jonathan Hudson
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] KQEMU bridge for multiple VM's performance problem
On Fri, 7 Sep 2007 19:41:38 +0100 (BST)
"Damian Brasher" <lug@???> wrote:

> Jonathan Hudson wrote:
> > With recent kernels, I've found you need to use tunctl to set up the
> > tun / tap devices to get any sort of connectivity.
> >
> > I'm using mainly using VirtualBox (vice qemu), but with either,
> > it was necessary to create the tap devices with tunctl.
> >

> Does that then mean you don't need to use the -net tap,vlan=0,ifname=tap0
> arguments?
>
> I have used KQEMU for this box as there is no VT capability on the cpu.

You still need the documented qemu network setup. tunctl just make taps
work at the kernel level. It doesn't matter if you're using kqemu or
not.

My (non-bridged) sudoed qemu script looks like:

chmod a+rw /dev/net/tun
tunctl -t $1 -u jrh
ifconfig $1 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
sysctl -w net.ipv4.ip_forward=1

without tunctl the tap device is unresponsive.

-jonathan