Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56e4e100.hantslug.org.uk.1391': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Fri Sep 7 20:29:54 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 06:25:39PM +0100, Damian Brasher wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > Can I please have a list of backup software people use on Linux.
> > I want to have a dedicated Linux backup server that talks to the tape
> > drive.
> > Then, a number of agents on various Linux and Windows machines that
> > send the data to be backed up to the backup server.
>
> I use bacula, it is very fast but not immediately configurable - the
> manual is extensive however but be prepared to take some time over setup.
> http://www.bacula.org. It support compression and encryption and is
> relatively fast. The director console is nearly friendly with a few
> caveats.

Put me down for a Bacula vote. As Damian says, it's non-trivial to
configure initially, but this list can probably help with that if you
need the assistance.

I have used Amanda in the past (4-5 years ago), too, but had
problems with kernel oopses -- something to do with Amanda exercising
bits of the tape driver that running the tape manually didn't
exercise. It also had problems with backup volumes spanning multiple
tapes, which I don't believe Bacula has. These issues may have been
solved since.

Hugo.

   --- In the future, terrorists won't be carrying their ID cards. ---
                   They'll be carrying yours. -- Henry
                         Porter,  Suspect Nation