Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I please have a list of backup software people use on Linux.
> I want to have a dedicated Linux backup server that talks to the tape
> drive.
> Then, a number of agents on various Linux and Windows machines that
> send the data to be backed up to the backup server.

I use bacula, it is very fast but not immediately configurable - the
manual is extensive however but be prepared to take some time over setup.
http://www.bacula.org. It support compression and encryption and is
relatively fast. The director console is nearly friendly with a few
caveats.

Windows and Linux clients feed data into the system.

I have used tar extensively and is pretty good all round tool, with
scripts and samba shares for windows.

Damian

--
Damian Brasher