Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software

Author: Adrian Bridgett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software
Amanda - stopped used once I found out that it wants at least one tape
per backup. The scenario I'm in is an office I go to once a week - so
swapping a tape each day is tricky...

Bacula - what I swapped to :-) Not used the newest version which has
a better interface. Winner of "best motto" - "It comes by night and
sucks the vital essence from your computers". Not a huge fan of the
config, but at least it's configurable. Data goes direct from client
to computer hosting the tape (i.e. not via backup server)

BackupPC - what I'm currently using. Rsync based backup with file
de-duplication - i.e. a file is only stored once no matter how often
it's found on how many machines. Uses massively hardlinked tree to do
this. I then tar this and scp it remotely to another box. Notes here:
http://www.smop.co.uk/mediawiki/index.php/BackupPC

As it says on that page, I'm not a fan of any current backup - none of
them actually work well for me. Whilst I've not been an active admin
of TSM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Tivoli_Storage_Manager), the
_way_ it works seems much better. OTOH cheap it's not (nor open
source).

Maybe one day I'll write a backup program (along with the 1001 other
projects).

Adrian
--
Email: adrian@??? -*- GPG key available on public key servers