Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software

Author: Peter Salisbury
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software
On Monday 10 Sep 2007, Simon Capstick wrote:
> James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Can I please have a list of backup software people use on Linux.
> > I want to have a dedicated Linux backup server that talks to the
> > tape drive. Then, a number of agents on various Linux and Windows
> > machines that send the data to be backed up to the backup server.
> >
> > If anyone knows any pros or cons regarding any of them, that
> > would also be useful.
> > We could maybe then add the results to the hantslug wiki.
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > James

I use backup2l.

pros: available in Debian repos; keeps incremental backups so you can
retrieve older versions of files; backup to disk so it's quick (can
split files for storage on CD/DVD); resilient to removal of files and
changes to config; you can decide what granularity and frequency of
backups you want; you can decide how many backups at each level to
keep; you can easily restore files using standard tools if you've
lost backup2l for some reason; it has a zcat readable list of the
files in each archive.

cons: no GUI (or is that a pro?); have to edit (simple) config file to
set it up.

You can write your own backend for backup2l so I'm sure that the
backup server could be accommodated easily.

HTH, Peter