Re: [Hampshire] Spamassassin shortcircuiting

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spamassassin shortcircuiting

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x583bd100.hantslug.org.uk.21619': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 10 19:17:05 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Duncan,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 05:48:21PM +0000, Duncan B. wrote:
> I've used a lot of sendmail's spam-fighting functions, like greetpause and
> client/rate control etc. Our main problem seems to be dictionary attacks
> on one of our main domains! The badrcptthrottle option in sendmail seems
> to be a good choice, however because sendmail only delivers in queue mode,
> this is no good for me :(

Are you immediately rejecting email to unknown local users/domain?
If not then that will be putting a massive load on your spamds as
well as possibly making you a source of backscatter bounces...

10 seconds per email seems excessive. The worst I have seen is
around 5 seconds on an adequately specced machine with a default
spamassassin configuration. That's why I suggested maybe looking to
see if it is running out of RAM. Other things that spring to mind
are DCC, Razor and Pyzor tests that perhaps are failing to connect
to their respective servers.

Cheers,
Andy