Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Linux tape backup software
James Courtier-Dutton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can I please have a list of backup software people use on Linux.
> I want to have a dedicated Linux backup server that talks to the tape drive.
> Then, a number of agents on various Linux and Windows machines that
> send the data to be backed up to the backup server.
>
> If anyone knows any pros or cons regarding any of them, that would
> also be useful.
> We could maybe then add the results to the hantslug wiki.
>
> Thank you
>
> James

I've installed Amanda (www.amanda.org) on a couple of clients' business
networks: one client has since given up on Linux and tape drives
entirely, the other is very happy.

Amanda is in some ways overkill for a simple network, but when it's
working it works well, and restoring from the backups can be done with
Amanda's own tools (which the users can just about cope with) or 'by
hand' using tar etc.

There is no GUI: I added some scripts to make it more user friendly.
The webmin module for Amanda is not much help. Zmanda do a commercial
front-end, but I haven't tried it.

Amanda is great for backing up multiple Linux/Unix boxes; support for
Windows clients (via Samba) is awkward (or it was the last time I tried).

I've looked into Bacula (www.bacula.org) too, but was put off by the
apparent difficulty of restoring without Bacula's own tools.

I hope that helps.

Chris

--
Chris Dennis                                  cgdennis@???