Re: [Hampshire] Spamassassin shortcircuiting

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spamassassin shortcircuiting

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x568c1100.hantslug.org.uk.32481': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Mon Sep 10 18:19:18 2007 BST
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Duncan,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 05:10:34PM +0000, Duncan B. wrote:
> I've been playing with MailScanner/SA, and have noticed messages are
> taking about 10 seconds to be processed, which on a busy mail server is
> proving too slow. This is due to all the RBL checks etc.

Try to get local copies of the DNSBLs. Run a local caching server
for those you can't get fully locally. Reject more spam based on
SMTP violations like earlytalk or HELO syntax. Do greylisting.
Check your spamd box isn't running out of RAM. Outsource your
antispam. :)

> I've tried the SA 'shortcircuit' plugin, but have had negative results
> using this. Does anyone know of a way you can get SA to stop processing
> the message when it hits the threshold score? Ie if you have
> required_hits set to 4.3, could you stop looking at rules after this score
> is hit?

Not really because later tests may provide a negative score which
would bring you down below the threshold, thus by using
shortcircuiting you will classify a higher percentage of legitimate
email as spam.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.