Re: [Hampshire] Spamassassin shortcircuiting

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Spamassassin shortcircuiting
> would one usually use mimedefang with MailScanner, or as an
> alternative?

I wouldn't run MailScanner[1] with anything...

Vic.

[1] I nearly left this as a cryptic reply, but I guess I should elaborate :-)

MailScanner filters mail after the SMTP conversation has finished (or did
last time I looked, anyway). This means that, by the time you've decided
that a message is dodgy, you've already accepted it. So you either need to
re-process the spam list (by hand...), or accept the fact that false
positives mean lost email *with no notification to the sender*. The worst
of all possible outcomes :-(

Far better IMO to do all mail filtering in milters, where you can discard
before the end of the SMTP connection. That way, if you cock it up, a
legitimate sender gets warned that his mail has been rejected, and the
spambots get the 5xx they deserve (and which a *very* few seem to take
notice of...)