Re: [Hampshire] Buying MAC's for organisation wide VT

Author: Damian Brasher
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Buying MAC's for organisation wide VT
Stephen D wrote:

> IMHO that some sort of solution to use a truly randomly generated MAC
> address including part of a time sync when the VM was started after a
> copy (Some versions of VMWare actually recognize that you have copied
> the VM Image) and lets you (default) to a new MAC address or if
> configured asks if you want to change it.

I still disagree. Put it another way...

The proliferation of small wireless devices, including bluetooth, wlan in
all it's forms - they all need MAC addresses, VM's that are not configured
to use NAT, the ability these days to relatively easily change MAC's on
hardware via the operating system (accidents) or BIOS.

Just suppose that £270 pounds had been spent on an IAB and perhaps over
five years this saved an organisation, with a thousand or more
workstations and other network devices, 5 hours in network engineer
diagnosis troubleshooting time, what's that £350-£1000 roughly, then it
has to be worth it. Let alone the time individuals must spend if they
choose the wrong kind of address and I think I'm being conservative.

More thoughts?

Damian

--
Damian Brasher