Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Author: John Cooper
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy
Graham wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-09-23 at 12:05 +0100, John Cooper wrote:
>
> The free tools are that. Microsoft isn't free, you are paying for the
> GUIs. Look at Secure Computing's Ironmail and Webwasher's and they are
> expensive, but all the functionality is GUI managed. If you are running
> a web hosting company and want an easy to run service, you buy Ensim
> Pro. You can use free alternatives but you will not have any support and
> will need a greater knowledge.
>

> But why are the free tools *so* bad? I know they have had to deal with
> diversity of what people choose to use but it would be nice if a Linux
> distrib provided a set of admin tools for a given common configuration.

Cups is pretty good (http://localhost:631).
phpMyAdmin is very good.
cPanel is very good.

A good GUI takes a lot of time and effort and most developers are
working on the interesting GNU/Linux bits. It normally takes some
company to pay for the GUI to be developed and they will charge you for
that. That is one way to earn a living as the Open Source business model
is very different to lock-them-in propriety.

Don't expect too much for free!

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk