Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Author: Andy Random
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007, Vic wrote:

> In a mixed Windows/Linux network (or even in a pure Windows environment),
> you will frequently encounter Active Directory,

Ok, yes I'm familiar with AD.

> Samba3 (which we all use) has been modified to join AD domains. and you
> can run a Linux box as a client or a member server quite happily within an
> AD domain.

Yes we have Linux machines at work which do this.

> But you still need a Windows box to be the domain controller;
> you can only control the domain if you downgrade the authentication to
> NTLM (which is crap).

Just to take this thread on another tangent what is so bad about NTLM, we
have Linux boxes with Apache running that use NTLM auth in the office and
it seems to work ok to me? Is this a performance/functionality issue or a
technical/security one?

> But Samba4 changes that. Samba4 will allow Linux boxen to be AD domain
> controllers. That means we can get rid of those horrific 2003server and
> SBS boxen, and replace them with friendly Linux installs.

Right, I can see the advantage in that, but it's not likely to affect me
personally as there is no way our IT dept. will adopt it (being a Windows
only outfit) and I don't envision I'll ever want to setup my own network
on that sort of scale.

Thanks for the clarification though.

Andy