Mail Servers - was: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy

Author: Jack Knight (OSM EU)
To: adrian, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
CC:
Subject: Mail Servers - was: Re: [Hampshire] Happy Happy Joy Joy
Adrian Bridgett wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 08:51:54 +0100 (+0100), Steve Kirk wrote:
>
>> Also, does anyone on the list currently use Zimbra? I'd be interested to
>> hear how you've found it?

Hi Adrian.

We tried it a year or so back. The ajax web front end (its main USP
IMHO) is very pretty, but a number of restrictions on the
implementation, a lack of support for multiple clients (mixed
outlook/unix etc) and lack of easy means of integrating tools like
spamassassin meant we went with Scalix instead. It's not perfect, but
it's been running pretty much trouble free since and does 95% of
whatever you want it to. Still haven't upgraded it to the latest
"community" version either, not fixing what ain't broke.

> I had a look a while ago and found the packaging to be suboptimal
> (kind words) and even after trying to hack it to work for a few hours
> I gave up.

Exactly!
> I believe I was trying to get it to use _my_ ldap server which may
> have been part of the "problem". OTOH it would have been nice if it
> was a bit more modular in that respect.

No - it was a nightmare messing with its packaged distribution.

jfk