Re: [Hampshire] Sending SMS from a computer?

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Sending SMS from a computer?
On 26/09/2007, Andy Random <andy.random@???> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for a method to send SMS messages from a computer on certain
> scriptable events.
>
> Sending to an email address (which gets converted into an SMS) would
> probably be ok, but some other (more secure?) interface would be fine as
> well, though I'd prefer to avoid having to automate the filling in of web
> forms if I can.
>
> I used to use a free service for this but it has (possibly not
> surprisingly) ceased to be.
>
> Another free service would be great, but I'd be willing to pay a small
> amount per SMS for a reliable system.
>
> I've seen things about attaching a phone (via serial/USB/IR/Bluetooth) to
> a PC and using that to send SMS, but that's not really what I'm looking
> for.
>
>    Andy

we have been using Clickatell (www.clickatell.com) quite dependably
for a number of years. We use an email API for this but they do ftp
and http APIs too. They have a free trial (30 msgs IIRC) and
"reasonable" pricing thereafter. Based in S Africa but good global
coverage if that's relevant.

Oh, and a whole raftful of alternatives came up in GMail's sidebar
when I read this post! B-)