Re: [Hampshire] Auto-email MySQL Database dump

Author: Vic
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Auto-email MySQL Database dump
> rsync would require some setup at his end though

http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/ ?

It's really very easy.

> the mail command looks like a good bet.

Is there anything sensitive in the database?

Aside from the general crapness of sending vast gobs of data via email,
SMTP often (usually?) involves cleartext transmission[1]. The entire
database will be visible to anyone who sees the IP packets anywhere in the
stream.

Seriously - you'll find life *much* easier if you set this up properly in
the first place. People don't like changing systems that are already
"working"...

Vic.

[1] Many mailers can be set up to try to use encrypted links - indeed,
many come pre-configured to do exactly this (that's how I found out about
the STARTTLS command in the first place - it was in my logs, because my
server was trying it). Yet an enormous number of mailers just don't use
encryption :-(